RSS Feed

Breaking Up and Bringing Up

10

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 by

I know, I’ve come up with some very weird analogies in the past, but I honestly think this one makes sense. This analogy was formed to console a weeping friend and it worked. She burst out laughing as soon as I compared breaking up to the process of vomiting. That’s right, vomiting.

You eat something, it tastes great, and you can’t have enough of it. Then you’re full with it, you don’t want more, but it still continues to be with you. Slowly, you start feeling uneasy. Your uneasiness increases and increases. You want it to stop, and you want to be back to normal. You’re uneasiness continues though and all of a sudden it happens. You puke. It’s disgusting. You’re embarrassed, you feel horrible. It’s not the end. You feel better, but you have this disgusting, sick taste. You try everything possible to get rid of it, forget it; but it’s still there. Slowly, very slowly, you get over that taste, you stop mourning over it and you start to feel normal again.

With all this done, you’re not absolutely fine, you’re too afraid to eat anything again. Especially the type of food that made you puke. Sometimes you come across the place where you first encountered that particular food, or you see someone else with that food and you start to feel uneasy again. Then you tell yourself that you need to start eating normally again. Initially you avoid those food types which made you sick, no matter how enticing they seem. You go in for less complex foods, you play safe. Some day though, you’ll be fine and back to eating and enjoying it. For some of us, this whole process happens easily and quickly but for others it takes a while.

And that is my explanation and it makes sense.


10 comments »

Desiree Alemao said...

Brilliant analogy young cookie monster... the play it safe thing really is true .. but then risk is always more enticing as I know all too well

RuthSeq said...

:P I want you to start eating again, even if they're just french beans. :P

Richa said...

naice partner!..to remove the sick taste it leaves in your mouth..nothing better than lime and salt accompanied by tequila of course!

Anonymous said...

Baby brat, I think this is excellent. Not only is the idea and the anology brilliant; the writing and the style make me proud you're my sister. A baby sister at that.. Who would have thought.

xoxo

MPG said...

I agree with the idiot, it is brilliant Ruth. Want to write Sunburn copy? Will get back to you about your proposal in a day or two.

RuthSeq said...

Thank you, I am motivated to think less and write more. :)

Unknown said...

I like!! :) great analogy Ruth. (i still hate puking though!)

RuthSeq said...

don't we all. :P

Sharanya said...

Remind me to come to you for all future advice.
You are officially my new agony aunt :)

Brilliant writing as always.

MrNarci said...

That is one awesome analogy!